Saturday 31 December 2016

SROCkite.gif (2521 bytes) Out with the old and in with the new

We spent from mid November to mid December in Nepal

so I did almost no running then.


 I guess I could have made time but it wasn't the priority and it was quite nice to have a break.

Returning so close to Christmas and with lots to do meant I decided against the Tour of Helvellyn but I have managed a few local runs. Annoyingly I blasted to have a very competitive run on the Leyland Street O map and pulled a buttock muscle. Good points but I have paid for it since. It was lovely to meet up with loads of friends from Preston Harriers and The Winter Hill gang just before Christmas and to run the curry run route before beer and a meal in the Top Lock.

We also squeezed in a long run from Brinscall to Winter Hill and back to burn off some of the excess from Christmas Day.

 We even managed a 2 hour run on the Quantocks after visiting family.

Our first day at the climbing wall came as a bit of a shock after a month off and so we have been at least twice a week to try to rebuild arm strength and bottle! It has meant less running but we need it as the plan mid Jan is a week skiing and then drive to the Med coast for climbing. So running is likely to be delayed until February. So bye to 2016; it has been great. Lots of Runfurther races including achieving most points and ladies champ.Many old favourites like Haworth

and Calderdale but  new races too like Warrington Way and Brecon 10 Peaks.

 I introduced Bob to the Fellsman

and he wants to do it again. Despite may in Morocco and other travels I also managed the SLMM,

 RAB,

 GL3D and OMM.

 We have organised a few events and marshalled / provided safety cover at a couple too. I kept to my challenge of a big new race in France each year and enjoyed the UT4M.


So. What will 2017 hold?
I have already entered a race longer than I have ever run before - Hardmoors 200 and hope I have not bitten off more than I can chew. The Grand Raid de Pyrenees have made their long ultra longer and with a new route so that will be my big summer race.

I am really looking forward to this as I had such a great time two years ago. I am not sure which Runfurther races I will do but hopefully at least the first four and the SW100. I have a place in the Lakes Sky Ultra which I am excited about if the weather is dry and scared about if it is wet. I have promised myself that I will do more stretching and also more core strength work - hmm, not a 'smart' target. OK I will stretch and core at least 4 times a week. I would like to also improve my outdoor climbing and would love to do the A, or even try to complete the Elite, at the OMM but need to find a partner if so.

News Archive (you may need to scroll up after selecting an item)