Thursday 14 October 2010

SROCkite.gif (2521 bytes) Bright Lights

With the night’s drawing in and the start of Street League and Night League approaching I thought it time to review my lighting systems. I wanted something brighter (very bright if it was to compensate for my deteriorating eyesight) but baulked at paying the high price for the systems that were on the market. However I believe I have found the solution ...

Based on the article by Nick Barrable in the April 2010 edition of CompassSport and witnessing one at first hand at the Peter Palmer relays I decided to investigate the product produced by Trevor Jackson and went to his website www.brightbikelights.com . The product looked good and was at a sensible price (£90 including p&p) – was it too good to be true – time would tell.
I have had the light for a few weeks now and am impressed, I have used it for trail running, for some off trail forest running in a couple of places, including Beacon Fell and some street running. I must admit to not having used it in the full pressure of an event but have been very pleased with the performance – I can see where I am going and for some way ahead where I want to go.
Not only is the unit bright (the claim is for 900 lumens – not sure what this means precisely but it is very bright) but it is also light. It is very comfortable to wear with a simple but very stable angle adjustment system. The battery pack seems to be ridiculously small but does have a long running time even on high beam (the claim is for 3 hours – I have only used mine for 1.5 hours and there was no diminution of the beam). The technos amongst you will need to go to the two sources mentioned above for more technical information.
Being so small the battery pack can be attached to the head band of the light or, as I have done put inside a very small bumbag alongside my lightweight wind top. An advantage of this is that I have been able to add a red flashing rear bike light to the bumbag as an additional safety measure for the upcoming Street League events. Another alternative I have considered is to use a narrow webbing belt which you can wrap the battery pack around. Either of these systems allows me to run without a pack on my back which for me is a huge plus.
All in all I have been very pleased with my purchase and would recommend any one looking for a new lighting system to give this one by Trevor very serious consideration. I am sure you won’t be disappointed.

Bob Nash
PS: for those of you who are Street Leaguers I will have mine with me at the events – starting with Leyland on the 20th October. Follow this link to the Street League.

News Archive (you may need to scroll up after selecting an item)